International FAQs

We’ve listed some of the most common questions we’re asked by international applicants, but if there’s anything else you’d like to know, don’t hesitate to get in touch.

What are your fees for international students?

For a full list of fees, please click here.

What are your academic entry requirements?

Undergraduate applicants need to provide satisfactory evidence of university entry level secondary education to demonstrate the capacity to complete the RNCM course successfully.

Postgraduate applicants should normally possess (or be about to complete) a qualification equivalent to a British Bachelor’s honours degree. Applicants for the MMus courses will also be required to submit an example of prior written for academic assessment.

If you’re unsure of the entry requirements for your course, please email

Do you have scholarships for international students?

Yes. A limited number of scholarships for some courses (excluding MPerf) may be available for exceptionally talented students. All students are automatically considered for a scholarship and you do not need to apply. Further details can be provided at audition.

Do you have overseas agents/representatives?

Yes. The RNCM currently has an agent in China. We also have international ambassadors based in the UK, Isle of Man and Hong Kong whom you may contact for further information.

Can international students audition by recording?

Yes. If international students are unable to audition in person they can send an authenticated good quality recording of their audition pieces.

Do you conduct auditions overseas?

Yes, each year we conduct auditions in selected countries. For further information please click here.

Do I need a visa to study at the RNCM?

Nationals of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland can enter the UK freely by showing their passport or national identity card. A visa or prior entry clearance is NOT required.

This applies to residents of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

More information regarding residency and work permits for EEA nationals can be found here click here for details

Applicants from other countries

If you are a national of a country which is not in the EEA or Switzerland, you’ll need to obtain Tier 4 Visa from a British Embassy in your home country. It is student’s responsibility to make sure that he or she meets the immigration requirements.

In order to apply for the visa you will need to:

  • Complete the form and gather supporting documents. Please read the ‘Documents and Proof’ Section of the Tier 4 Guidance carefully and make sure that you provide all the required documents in the correct form.
  • Apply to the British Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

There are some official sources of advice that you may want to consult before your application:

UK Visas
UK Council for International Student Affairs (we recommend you read this advice)
Information about living in the UK including immigration

Is there any special support for international students?

Yes. The RNCM has a dedicated team, which provides information and advice, offers support in relation to visas and immigration, holds English language classes, and runs a number of events each year specifically for international students, including International Orientation Days and social functions.

If you need any assistance or have any questions, please email

Is there any help with English language if I am not a native speaker?

Where an applicant’s IELTS score is below the required standard, entry may still be possible with extra language support offered through our Pre-sessional Summer School and In-session English Language provision.

Pre-Sessional English Language Course

Students can enrol for the RNCM Pre-Sessional English Language course, held each year during July and August. It is designed for students who need time to develop the necessary language skills before starting their studies. The course also provides an introduction to Britain and British culture, allowing students to become accustomed to the context of their new academic environment.

In-Sessional English Language Support

Once you have registered as a student, if required, In-Sessional English Language Support can be provided to help improve your written and spoken English.

A copy of the IELTS certificate (or other recognised English test result) should be sent to Admissions by 1 April, although the original document still needs to be produced at registration.

For more information contact

Where is the RNCM located?

The RNCM is located in the city of Manchester, in the North West of England. Manchester benefits from excellent transport links and is well-served by air, road and rail networks. It is only a two hour train journey away from London, and Manchester International Airport is only a 20 minute car or train journey from the College. See our location on Google Maps.

What is it like around the RNCM campus?

You will find an abundance of things to see and do during your leisure time. Manchester Aquatics Centre is located opposite the College, equipped with a range of facilities including swimming pools, a gym and fitness classes. The city centre has a wealth of shops, bars, restaurants and other leisure facilities to cater for all tastes and budgets, and is conveniently located just a mile (1.5km) from the College. More information on what Manchester has to offer is available via Visit Manchester.