The Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM) is committed to handling and storing personal information in compliance with the terms of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This applies whether the information is obtained directly from individuals through the RNCM website by completing web forms or by other means such as phone calls, e-mail, and printed form or in person. It also applies to information obtained from publicly available sources.
In all instances the RNCM is the data controller; its Data Protection Policy may be viewed here: Data Protection Policy.
This privacy statement applies to external stakeholders; separate privacy policies are in place for staff, visiting tutors, students, JRNCM students and participants in RNCM Young Projects and RNCM Outreach activities.
Whose information do we collect?
We collect personal information about the following categories of people:
- Supporters – Principal’s Circle, RNCM Members
- Audience members
- Other stakeholders
What information do we collect?
Depending on the nature of your relationship with the RNCM we may collect some or all of the following information:
- Biographical – name, title, previous surname, date of birth or age, gender
- Contact details – postal address, email address, phone number
- Current interests and preferences, e.g. genres of music
- Time as a student at the RNCM [Alumni]
- Professional activities
- Record of donations (We do not retain bank account or bank card details; payment for tickets is managed through a third party)
- Attendance at events
How do we collect the information?
Information is collected under the following circumstances:
- Requesting a prospectus
- Registering for Open Days or other events
- Booking tickets online or in person
- Subscribing to RNCM mailing lists or other marketing communications
- Becoming a registered supporter of the RNCM
- Applying to become a student at the RNCM or Junior RNCM
- Applying to attend or registering for RNCM Young Projects or RNCM Engage
- Through personal contact with a staff member or trustee
- From publicly available sources
When you provide contact details you will be asked if you would like to receive further information from the RNCM. You will also be offered the opportunity to opt-out every time we communicate with you.
We use ‘Cookies’ on our website to allow us to see how our website is used and to improve our services to you. None of this information identifies you personally. For more information see https://www.rncm.ac.uk/cookie-information/
Why do we collect the information?
We collect the information in order to:
- provide and manage services, such as attendance at free and charged events
- manage contact with, and support, alumni
- manage contact with, and provide information to, supporters
- communicate news about the RNCM
- communicate news about events at the RNCM
- issue invitations to RNCM events
- administer donations and legacies, including Gift Aid
- identify potential donors and sources of funding for, amongst other activities, scholarships, outreach, capital projects, performance programme and RNCM Engage
We use tools to assist us with providing targeted information to our stakeholders, such as genre specific event communications. We may occasionally use profiling services provided by trusted third party organisations for the same purpose. We also gather information from publicly available third party resources, e.g. directories, charity registers, to assist us with identifying stakeholders who might be approached for financial support.
Under the terms of the GDPR the lawful bases for processing personal information are:
- we need it to fulfil a contract (e.g. ticket purchase);
- we need it to pursue our legitimate interests by communicating with alumni, current and potential supporters; and / or,
- you have given your consent for us to do so.
Who collects the information?
Information is collected by, and on behalf of, the RNCM. It may be shared by departments within the RNCM in order for us to undertake a range of communications activities, both electronically, in print and through other channels.
How long do we hold the information?
Information is retained for as long necessary for the purpose for which it is required, and in line with the RNCM Retention Schedule
We want to be sure that we have the most up-to-date information for you. If you discover that we have outdated information, such as address, e-mail address or change of name please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know. If you purchase tickets online for the RNCM you can update your information yourself by logging into your account.
Where your information is stored
Your information is stored on secure, password protected databases and networks. Access to the information is given only to staff with the appropriate authorisation.
Data is held mainly in the United Kingdom with some on servers within the European Union.
CCTV & ANPR
The RNCM operates CCTV camera surveillance throughout the building and on the perimeter of the premises. The system is in place for the purposes of safeguarding personal security, to protect property and for the prevention and detection of crime. The images are stored securely and monitored in a controlled space. Images may be shared with Greater Manchester Police if required for the investigation of crime.
The RNCM operates an ANPR system in its car park situated under the Sir Charles Groves Hall of Residence, adjacent to the RNCM building. This system is used for the purpose of granting access to authorised users of the car park and to manage use by visitors.
You have the right to request copies of any of your data held by the RNCM
Details of our Subject Access procedure are here or contact AQM:
Academic Quality Manager
Royal Northern College of Music
124 Oxford Road
You have the right to have your data rectified or erased
If you wish to amend the information we hold about you or the type of communications you receive, please follow the ‘update your preferences link’ in relevant e-mails, or contact the person or department which sent the communication
If you no longer want us to use or process your data, you can opt out at any time via the unsubscribe link included in emails or contact the Data Protection Officer:
Data Protection Officer
Royal Northern College of Music
124 Oxford Road
Contact and complaints
If you have any queries or complaints about this policy please contact
Data Protection Officer (DPO), Royal Northern College of Music, 124 Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9RD or send an e-mail to email@example.com
If you are dissatisfied with the RNCM’s response to your request for access to your data, or handling of your request to rectify or erase your data, you may contact the
Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF Tel.: 0303 123 1113 https://ico.org.uk/concerns/