Tutor in Trumpet
MA (Cantab), FGS, FRNCM
Previously Head of School of Wind, Brass and Percussion, John continues to work at the RNCM in a part-time capacity as Tutor in Trumpet, coaching Chamber Music and providing inspirational teaching and coaching for our students and contributing to our research activities.
John Miller read music at Kings College, Cambridge. This was followed by postgraduate study of trumpet in USA. His professIonal career as a trumpeter was as a member of the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble (1972-80), the Philharmonia Orchestra (1977-1994), a member of Equale Brass and a founder member of the Wallace Collection (1986-2002, and from 2014 onwards).
His work at the RNCM in Manchester since 1999 has been stamped by both creative instrumental teaching and artistic innovation. Work with young musicians continues to be recognised internationally. John was awarded a FGSM in 1993, a FRNCM in 2006, and conferment of a Professorship (personal chair) by RNCM in 2010, where he held the position of Head of School of Wind, Brass and Percussion from 2013 – 2017.
Current and Future Research
A journal article, The Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, 1951-1986, is pending publication in The Historical Brass Society Journal, 2019.
A monograph, The Modern Brass Ensemble in Britain, is in preparation, to be published by Boydell & Brewer. This is projected to be a specialist academic volume, for the scholarly market and the brass enthusiast.
- BMus, GRNCM – Principal study of trumpet.
- Coaching chamber music.
- PG Dip, MMus – principal study trumpet, chamber music.
- Kerry Baldwin : THE INFLUENCE OF BERIO SEQUENZA V ON TROMBONE REPERTOIRE AND TECHNIQUE. Registered 1 April 2013 for M Phil (PT), and transferred December 2015 to Doctor of Philosophy (PT).
- Trumpet Basics, (London: Faber Music, 2002).
- The Good Brass Guide, ( Guildhall School of Music and Drama, 1999).
- The Good Brass Guide, ( Guildhall School of Music and drama, 1996).
- Simple Studies for Beginner Brass, (London: Faber Music, 1994).
- Progressive Studies for Trumpet, (London: Faber Music, 1994).
- Two by Two, ( Faber Music, 1994).
- The Baroque Trumpet, ( Faber Music, 1997).
- First Book of Trumpet Solos, ed. by John Miller and John Wallace, (London: Faber Music, 1994).
- Going Solo, ed. by John Miller and Leslie Pearson, (London: Faber Music, 1994).
- Second Book of Trumpet Solos, ed. by John Miller and John Wallace, (London: Faber Music, 1994).
- ‘Two Northern Bands’, Transactions of Lancashire & Cheshire Antiquarian Society, 110 (2017), 62 – 74.
- ‘Foden’s Band and its great soloist, Edwin Firth’, , (2016).
- ‘The Potsdam Musicians’, , (2016).
- ‘Getting Musical’, The Brass Herald, (2011).
- John Miller and David Baker, ‘Career aspirations and pedagogical training: Undergraduates’ insights and developments at the Royal Northern College of Music’, BJME, 24 (2007), 1.
- ‘Getting Technical’, The Brass Herald, (2004).
- John Miller et al. ABRSM Music Medals, Brass 2 ensemble pieces, 2006, mixed brass instruments,
- John Miller et al. ABRSM Music Medals, mixed-brass ensemble pieces, 2006, mixed brass instruments,
- John Miller et al. ABRSM Music Medals, Brass 1 ensemble pieces, 2004, mixed brass instruments,
- Jonathan Dove Across the Walls, inter-collegiate ensemble, John Miller, brass ensemble, Sir Adrian Hall, Birmingham Conservatoire
- Elgar Howarth Spooks, John Miller, Mark Frost bass trombone, with brass and percussion ensemble., RNCM, 27 Jan 2008
- Gordon McPherson Tallman and Mantz 1961 (first performance), John Miller and John Wallace two trumpets and two virtual trumpets, Stevenson Hall, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Edward McGuire Songs from the North (World Premiere), The New Wallace Collection, Rhona McKail soprano, 2 trumpets, horn, trombone and tuba, Queen Elizabeth Hall, London, 27 May 2014
- misc. misc. ABRSM 2010 exemplar recordings of trumpet repertoire grades 1,2,5, John Miller trumpet plus piano accompaniment, ABRSM, London, 2010
- misc. Renaissance Brass, Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, Elgar Howarth, brass ensemble, Argo, 1976
- Henry Purcell Purcell Funeral Music, Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, choir of King’s College Cambridge, David Willcocks, brass ensemble and choir, EMI ASD, King’s College Cambridge, 1977
- misc. Elgar Howarth PJBE in der Schweiz, Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, Elgar Howarth, brass ensemble, Claves, 1971
- Mussorgsky Elgar Howarth Pictures at an Exhibition, Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, Elgar Howarth, brass ensemble, Argo, 1978
- Malcolm Arnold Symphony for Brass, Howard Snell, brass ensemble, Argo, London, 1979
- William Byrd Elgar Howarth La Battaglia, Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, Elgar Howarth, John Miller brass ensemble, Argo, 1981
- Elliot Carter Brass Quintet, The Wallace Collection, brass quintet, Collins Classics, 1992
- Albinoni, Vivaldi et al. The Masters of the Baroque, Philharmonia Orchestra, English String Orchestra, John Wallace and John Miller , Nimbus, 1986, 1988
- James Parker, John Tavener, William Matthias Contemporary music for brass, Wallace Collection, brass quintet, Linn, 1999
- Sibelius, Ewald Baltic Brass, Wallace Collection, brass ensemble (original instruments), Deux-Elles, 2001
- Eben, Crawford, Xenakis, Martland Hammered Brass, Wallace Collection, brass ensemble, Linn, 2002
- Peter Maxwell Davies Brass Quintet, Wallace Collection, brass quintet, n/a, Royal Academy of Music, London, 2002
- Karlheinz Stockhausen Bird of Passage, Markus Stockhausen, Harald Boje, Aloys Kontarsky, Karlheinz Stockhausen instrumental ensemble, Chrysalis, London, Air Studios, 1976
- Karlheinz Stockhausen Stop, Ylem, London Sinfonietta, Karlheinz Stockhausen, DG, 1973
- Karlheinz Stockhausen Kontrapuncte, London Sinfonietta, Karlheinz Stockhausen, DG, 1973
- misc. Italian double trumpet concertos, Philharmonia Orchestra, English String Orchestra, John Wallace and John Miller , Nimbus
- Mahler Symphony No 2, London Symphony Orchestra, Leopold Stokowski, RCA Victor, 1974
- Tchaikovsky Francesca da Rimini, London Symphony Orchestra, Leopold Stokowski, Pentatone classics, 1974
- Strauss Alpine Symphony, London Symphony Orchestra, Raphael Fruhbeck de Burgos
- Stravinsky Petrushka, Fireworks, Philharmonia Orchestra, Eliah Inbal, Teldec
- janacek Sinfonietta, Taras Bulba, Philharmonia Orchestra, Simon Rattle, ASD
- Siblius Symphony 5, Night Ride and Sunrise, Philharmonia Orchestra, Simon Rattle, ASD
- Maxwell Davies Symphony 1, Philharmonia Orchestra, Simon Rattle, HEAD
- Rimsky-Korsakov Sheherezade, Philharmonia Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenasy, Decca
- Mozart Requiem, Philharmonia Orchestra, Carlo Maria Giulini
- Elgar Symphony 1, Phiharmonia Orchestra, Haitink, ASD
- Elgar Symphony 2, Philharmonia Orchestra, Haitink, HMV, 1984
- Walton Symphony1, Philharmonia Orchestra, Haitink, ASD
- Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra, Philharmonia Orchestra, Georges Pretre, RCA
- Maxwell davies Symphony 1, Philharmonia Orchestra, Andrew Davies
- Giovanni Gabrieli et al. Gabrieli and St Marks, Wallace Collection, Nimbus
- Janacek Capriccio, Wallace Collection, Nimbus
- Richard Strauss Complete music for symphonic brass, Locke Brass Consort, James Stobart, 1979
- Tchaikovsky Symphonies 1 – 6, Philharmonia Orchestram, Riccardo Muti
- Verdi Requiem, Philharmonia Orchestram, Riccardo Muti, EMI
- Rossini misc. overtures, Philharmonia Orchestram, Riccardo Muti, Eterna
- Pucinni Tosca, Philharmonia Orchestram, James Levine, SLS
- Puccini Suor Angelico, Il Tabarro, Philharmonia Orchestram, Lorin Maazel, CBS
- Puccini Madame Butterfly, Philharmonia Orchestram, Lorin Maazel, CBS
- gershwin Rhapsody in Blue, Philharmonia Orchestram, Marriner, Phillips
- Beethoven Symphonies 1-9, Fidelio Ov., Corialan Ov., Philharmonia Orchestram, Kurt Sanderling, SLS
- Mahler Symphonies, complete, Philharmonia Orchestram, Giuseppe Sinopoli, DG
- Tchaikovsky Symphony 5, Philharmonia Orchestram, Giuseppe Sinopoli, DG
- Respighi Brazilian Impressions, Philharmonia Orchestram, Geoffrey Simon, ABRD
- misc. French Ballet Music of the 1920s, Philharmonia Orchestram, Geoffrey Simon, ABRD
- Glazunov The seasons, Valses de Saisons, Philharmonia Orchestram, Yevgeny Svetlanov, ASD
- Beethoven Smphonies 5,6,7, Philharmonia Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenasy, Decca
- Mussorgsky Ashkenasy Pictures at an Exhibition, Phiharmonia Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenasy, Decca
- Sibelius Symphony 1, Karelia Suite, Phiharmonia Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenasy, Decca
- Sibelius Symphonies 2,4,5,7, Phiharmonia Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenasy, Decca
- Sibelius En Saga, Philharmonia Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenasy, Decca
- Tchaikovsky Symphony 4, Philharmonia Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenasy, Decca
- Hummel Trumpet Concerto, National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain, Rudolph Schwarz, John Miller , archive recording, 1969
- Debussy La mer, National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain, Pierre Boulez, BBC Radio Classics, 1971
- Peter Maxwell Davies Music for Brass, Wallace Collection, John Wallace, John Miller, Paul Gardham brass quintet, Nimbus, Royal Academy of Music, 2000
- Malcolm Arnold The Magic of Malcolm Arnold (Vol 1), Wallace Collection, brass ensemble, TWC- FR2016-001., 2016
- Sigismond von Neukomm, Ernst Sachse, Alexandre Guilmant, Jean Ballon Resonances of Waterloo, Wallace Collection, St Salvator’s Chapel Choir, University of St Andrews, Tom Wilkinson and Anthony George, John Miller (Neukomm) Ian Bousfield (Sachse and Guilmant) brass ensemble, Sanctiandree, Church of St James, Bermondsey (Neukomm)
- Research seminar , The evolution of the British Brass Band in the nineteenth and early twentieth century. Exploring the archives on our doorstep., Royal Conservatory of Scotland, 13 May
- RNCM research seminar , When the cornet met the trumpet, Lecture Theatre, 12 October
- Conference presentation for Historic Brass Society , When the cornet met the trumpet, New York, July
- RNCM research seminar , The evolution of the British Brass Band in the nineteenth and early twentieth century. Exploring the archives on our doorstep., Lecture Theatre, November
Talks, Workshops and Masterclasses
- Trumpet tutor, the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain (1991-current.
- Soloist, Richard Rodney Bennett, Trumpet Concerto, RNCM Wind Orchestra, Mark Heron, RNCM Concert Hall, 09 March 2013
- Recording with The Wallace Collection. The complete brass music of Malcolm Arnold. Glasgow University 4-7 January 2016, for Nimbus Records. Recording released.
- Performance of 19th Century brass music with The Wallace Collection brass ensemble for the Galpin Society at St Cecilia’s Hall, Edinburgh on 3rd June 2017.
- Masterclasses and performances at the Sibelius Academy, Helsinki, at the SIBA Festival, June 5-10, 2017. This included performing with Stockholm Chamber Brass.
- Period Performance Concert of the Harlem Hell Fighters Repertoire. Museum of Modern Art, New York, 14 July 2017. This was creating the sound-world and instrumentation of James Reese Europe of 1919, playing on a soprano cornet made in Manchester in 1925. This was part of the Historic Brass Society International conference.
- Masterclasses and solo performance at the Maspolomas International Trumpet Festival, Canary Islands, 16-22 July 2017.
- Soloist. World Premiere of ‘As Above, So Below” by Jay Capperauld. The Cumnock Tryst. Cumnock Old Church. Sat 30 September 2017.