Tutor in Trumpet
MA (Cantab), FGS, FRNCM
Previously Head of School of Wind, Brass and Percussion, John continues to work at the RNCM in a part-time capacity as Tutor in Trumpet, coaching Chamber Music and providing inspirational teaching and coaching for our students and contributing to our research activities.
John Miller began his musical life playing cornet with Tullis Russell Mills Band, Fife. He took up trumpet playing as a career, and was a member of the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble (1972-80) and the Philharmonia Orchestra (1977-1994). He is also a founder member of the Wallace Collection brass ensemble. He joined the staff of the Royal Northern College of Music in 1999 as Head of Brass, was Head of Wind & Percussion 2013–17, and is currently a part-time member of staff.
John is a teacher, published writer and brass educationalist in high demand. He was awarded an Honorary Fellowship of the Guildhall School in 1993, a Fellowship of the RNCM in 2006, followed by Professorship (personal chair) of RNCM in 2010. His work with young musicians, including the National Youth Orchestra, has been stamped by creative instrumental teaching and artistic innovation, and continues to be recognised internationally.
Current and Future Research
The Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, 1951-1986, The Historic Brass Society Journal, 31 (2019), pp. 51–76
A monograph, The Modern Brass Ensemble in Britain (working title), is in preparation, to be published by Boydell & Brewer. This is projected to be a specialist academic volume, for the scholarly market and the brass enthusiast.
- Trumpet Basics, (London: Faber Music, 2002).
- The Good Brass Guide, ( Guildhall School of Music and Drama, 1999).
- Third Book of Trumpet Solos, ed. by John Wallace and John Miller, ( The Music Company (UK) Ltd, 2020).
- Fourth Book of Trumpet Solos, ed. by John Wallace and John Miller, ( The Music Company (UK) Ltd, 2020).
- First Book of Trumpet Solos, ed. by John Miller and John Wallace, (London: Faber Music, 1994).
- Second Book of Trumpet Solos, ed. by John Miller and John Wallace, (London: Faber Music, 1994).
- ‘The Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, 1951–1986’, Historical Brass Society Journal, 31 (2019), 51–76. 10.2153/0120190011003
- ‘Two Northern Bands’, Transactions of Lancashire & Cheshire Antiquarian Society, 110 (2017), 62 – 74.
- Elgar Howarth Spooks, John Miller, Mark Frost bass trombone, with brass and percussion ensemble., RNCM, 27 Jan 2008
- misc. Renaissance Brass, Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, Elgar Howarth, brass ensemble, Argo, 1976
- Henry Purcell Purcell Funeral Music, Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, choir of King’s College Cambridge, David Willcocks, brass ensemble and choir, EMI ASD, King’s College Cambridge, 1977
- misc. Elgar Howarth PJBE in der Schweiz, Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, Elgar Howarth, brass ensemble, Claves, 1971
- Mussorgsky Elgar Howarth Pictures at an Exhibition, Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, Elgar Howarth, brass ensemble, Argo, 1978
- Malcolm Arnold Symphony for Brass, Howard Snell, brass ensemble, Argo, London, 1979
- William Byrd Elgar Howarth La Battaglia, Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, Elgar Howarth, John Miller brass ensemble, Argo, 1981
- Elliot Carter Brass Quintet, The Wallace Collection, brass quintet, Collins Classics, 1992
- Albinoni, Vivaldi et al. The Masters of the Baroque, Philharmonia Orchestra, English String Orchestra, John Wallace and John Miller , Nimbus, 1986, 1988
- James Parker, John Tavener, William Matthias Contemporary music for brass, Wallace Collection, brass quintet, Linn, 1999
- Sibelius, Ewald Baltic Brass, Wallace Collection, brass ensemble (original instruments), Deux-Elles, 2001
- Eben, Crawford, Xenakis, Martland Hammered Brass, Wallace Collection, brass ensemble, Linn, 2002
- Peter Maxwell Davies Brass Quintet, Wallace Collection, brass quintet, n/a, Royal Academy of Music, London, 2002
- Karlheinz Stockhausen Bird of Passage, Markus Stockhausen, Harald Boje, Aloys Kontarsky, Karlheinz Stockhausen instrumental ensemble, Chrysalis, London, Air Studios, 1976
- Karlheinz Stockhausen Stop, Ylem, London Sinfonietta, Karlheinz Stockhausen, DG, 1973
- Karlheinz Stockhausen Kontrapuncte, London Sinfonietta, Karlheinz Stockhausen, DG, 1973
- misc. Italian double trumpet concertos, Philharmonia Orchestra, English String Orchestra, John Wallace and John Miller , Nimbus
- Stravinsky Petrushka, Fireworks, Philharmonia Orchestra, Eliah Inbal, Teldec
- janacek Sinfonietta, Taras Bulba, Philharmonia Orchestra, Simon Rattle, ASD
- Mozart Requiem, Philharmonia Orchestra, Carlo Maria Giulini
- Giovanni Gabrieli et al. Gabrieli and St Marks, Wallace Collection, Nimbus
- Richard Strauss Complete music for symphonic brass, Locke Brass Consort, James Stobart, 1979
- Verdi Requiem, Philharmonia Orchestram, Riccardo Muti, EMI
- Puccini Suor Angelico, Il Tabarro, Philharmonia Orchestram, Lorin Maazel, CBS
- Puccini Madame Butterfly, Philharmonia Orchestram, Lorin Maazel, CBS
- Beethoven Symphonies 1-9, Fidelio Ov., Corialan Ov., Philharmonia Orchestram, Kurt Sanderling, SLS
- Mussorgsky Ashkenasy Pictures at an Exhibition, Phiharmonia Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenasy, Decca
- Hummel Trumpet Concerto, National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain, Rudolph Schwarz, John Miller , archive recording, 1969
- Debussy La mer, National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain, Pierre Boulez, BBC Radio Classics, 1971
- Peter Maxwell Davies Music for Brass, Wallace Collection, John Wallace, John Miller, Paul Gardham brass quintet, Nimbus, Royal Academy of Music, 2000
- Malcolm Arnold The Magic of Malcolm Arnold (Vol 1), Wallace Collection, brass ensemble, TWC- FR2016-001., 2016
- Sigismond von Neukomm, Ernst Sachse, Alexandre Guilmant, Jean Ballon Resonances of Waterloo, Wallace Collection, St Salvator’s Chapel Choir, University of St Andrews, Tom Wilkinson and Anthony George, John Miller (Neukomm) Ian Bousfield (Sachse and Guilmant) brass ensemble, Sanctiandree, Church of St James, Bermondsey (Neukomm)