Lecturer in Composition
BMus, MPhil (RNCM), PhD (Soton)
- Teaching composition at UG, PGT and MPhil/PhD levels
- Examining and auditioning within the School of Composition
- Teaching in the School of Academic Studies at UG level and PGT levels
- Composition representative on the Research Committee and Academic Board
Larry Goves is a composer based in the UK. His music has been perfomed, broadcast and released interntiaonlly.
He founded, writes for and performs electronics with the experimental music group the house of bedlam. They have performed at the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival, Faster than Sound 2008, the Purcell Room, for nonclassical at Hoxton’s Macbeth and the Purcell Room, in the Aldeburgh Festival and have been broadcast on BBC Radio 3. In December 2009 they attended a residency at Scotland’s prestigious Cove Park supported by the PRS Foundation and the Arts Council followed by concerts in Glasgow and Manchester.
He has also worked on a variety of installation projects including; an installation for Aldeburgh Music’s Technology Residencies (building instruments and writing new music in collaboration with Sound Intermedia’s David Sheppard); a music for a film and installation with artist Aura Satz (for the Tatton Park Biennial 2012); and music for Dr Beau Lotto’s wall of 88 speakers with corresponding visual (for The Brain Unravelled, an installation at the Wellcome Institute in 2009).
He has been awarded a Jerwood-Aldeburgh Opera Writing Fellowship, been shortlisted for a Royal Philharmonic Society Award in composition and has been a recipient of a Paul Hamlyn Award for Composition.
Larry Goves studied at the Royal Northern College of Music with Anthony Gilbert and at Southampton University with Michael Finnissy. He is a Composition Lecturer at the Royal Northern College of Music and composition tutor for the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain.
Current and Future Research
My main research interests are in acoustic, electronic and electroacoustic composition; creative collaboration and associated methodologies and curenty in performer interaction/coordiantion can operate as a compositional parameter.
Current and on-going projects:
New work for the BBC Philharmonic.
New music for two saxopones and electronics commissioned by Anthony Brown (Manchester)
New music for saxophone, cello and piano commissioned by Meriel Price (Berlin)
Principal study composition
Performance and repertoire studies
Performance art and music
Principal study composition
Amir Sadeghi Konjani: Performance art and Postdramatic theatre An exploration of performativity, the fourth wall in an experimental approach in music composition.
Elspeth Brook: Translating filmmaking techniques into musical composition
- Larry Goves, ‘MICHAEL FINNISSY AND WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART: THE COMPOSER AS ANTHROPOLOGIST’, TEMPO, (2017), pp.47-55.
- Michael Finnissy & Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: the composer as anthropologist , Michael FInnissy: Dialogues Symposium, University of Huddersfield, 17/11/2016 2016
- Exploring the rule-based and ensemble interaction processes in ‘Two from Dr Suss’ , The Royal Musical Association Annual Conference – Music as/and process session, Birmingham, UK, 10 September 2015 2015
- Dalcroze Eurythmics, Brian Ferneyhough’s ‘Unity Capsule’ and developing a new compositional methodology , The 2nd International Dalcroze Conference, Vienna, Austria, 28 July 2015
- Larry Goves The book of Matthew, 2016, The House of Bedlam, flute, alto saxophone, classical guitar, cello & projections,
- Larry Goves Extracts from South Korea and Japan 2012, 2015, London Sinfonietta, Gareth Hulse solo oboe or solo flute with PowerPoint projection,
- Larry Goves The dance along the artery, 2015, Kathryn Williams flute, , Vienna
- Larry Goves The Devotions, 2014, BIT20, Baldur Brönnimann, 1(picc, fl, bfl)01(Bb,Eb)0/00100/perc/pf/hp/11111, , Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival/Borealis Festival Bergen (Norway)
- Larry Goves Things that blue, things that are white and things that are black., 2013, The London Sinfonietta, André de Ridder, Sarah Nicolls (solo) amplified piano/electric piano/prepared piano (one player), clarinet/bass clarinet, cor anglais, horn, viola, cello, 16+ vi, , Queen Elizabeth Hall, London
- Larry Goves The Rules, 2013, The National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain, Paul Daniel, large symphony orchestra, Prima Facie, January 2014
- Larry Goves Two from Dr Suss, 2013, Trio Atem, female voice, bass flute, prepared cello,
- Larry Goves the clouds flew round with the clouds, 2013, Oliver Coates cello and electronics (live or soundtrack), Prah Recordings, London, 2013
- Larry Goves, Benjamin Britten Nocturnal & Diversions, 2013, Chambre Orchestra Vlaanderen, Ben Pope, Tom McKinney classical guitar, string orchestra, , Antwerp, Belgium
- Larry Goves A glimpse of the sea in a fold of the hills, 2012, L’Instant Donné, afl(blf)/cl(=bcl)/perc/pf/vln/vla/vc/electronics, , 2015
- Larry Goves Trends in personal relationships, 2012, London Sinfonietta, Martyn Brabbins, 1(picc, afl)111/11100/perc/pf/hp/11111, NMC, 2013
- Larry Goves Sherpa Tensing stands up from the piano, say something quiet, and walks outside., 2012, EXAUDI, James Weeks, Five voices (SSATB),
- Larry Goves Filakr, 2012, Oliver Coates cello and soundtrack, Slip
- Larry Goves A Fire-Island sky, 2011, Tom Mckinney classical guitar, Slip, London/Berlin
- Larry Goves Virtual airport, 2010, Seaming To (voice), Sofia Jernberg (voices), Oliver Coates (cello), Sarah Nicolls (piano), Larry Goves (electronics) two female voices, piano, cello (with MIDI piano bar), live electronics, Slip, 18 June 2010
- Larry Goves Music for the Lottolabs soundwall, 2009, Electronic,
- Larry Goves Just stuff people do, The London Sinfonietta, André de Ridder, Martyn Brabbins, Oliver Coates (cello), Sarah Nicolls (piano) Various, NMC, London, Various
- Larry Goves Virtual airport, Seaming To (voice), Sofia Jernberg (voices), Oliver Coates (cello), Sarah Nicolls (piano), Larry Goves (electronics) two female voices, piano, cello (with MIDI piano bar), live electronics, Slip, 18 June 2010
- Larry Goves The clouds flew round with the clouds, Oliver Coates cello, electroincs, Prah, London
- Larry Goves The Rules, The National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain, Paul Daniel, symphony orhcestra, Prima Facie, Manchester, 13/01/2014
- Larry Goves The Bilberry Hill Shim-Sham, Tom McKinney, Larry Goves Version for electric guitar and electronics, Nonclassical, London, 16/01/2011
- Larry Goves Island surveys (1), Jane Chapman harpsichord and electronics, Prima Facie, Manchester
- Larry Goves Talking microtonal blues, The House of Bedlam, Nonclassical, London
- Larry Goves A Fire-Island sky, Tom McKinney classical guitar, Slip, London/Berlin
- Larry Goves A crèche for the lonely and peculiar, Oliver Coates Electronics, Cello (on Filakr), Slip, London/Berlin
- Larry Goves Springtime, The London Sinfonietta, Juliet Fraser solo voice, ensemble and electronics, London Sinfonietta Label, London, 13/12/2008
- Larry Goves the tentacles of memory, Melinda Maxwell oboe, Dutton Epoch
- Larry Goves Walking underground, The London Sinfonietta, Pierre André-Valade, ensemble, NMC, London
Larry Goves’ music is performed internationally by numerous ensembles and individuals. Groups and individuals that have commissioned and/or performed his music include:
- The London Sinfonietta
- The Nash Ensemble
- The London Symphony Orchestra
- The BBC Philharmonic
- The National Youth Ochestra of Great Britain
- The Hallé
- BIT20 (Norway)
- L’Instant Donné (France)
- Divertimento Ensemble (Italy)
- 175 East (New Zealand)
- Britten Sinfonia
- Oliver Coates
- Sarah Nicolls
- Tom McKinney
Featured in fesitvals including:
- The Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival
- Aldeburgh Festival
- Faster than Sound
- Borealis (Bergen, Norway)
- Open Circuit
- Metropolis New Music Festival (Melbourne, Australia)
International broadcasts include:
- BBC Radio 3
- BBC 6 Music
- WXQR (New York, USA)
- Concert FM (New Zealand)
- NKR (Norway)
- Prima Facie
- London Sinietta Label
He is the Composition Tutor for the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain and also runs composition courses at Aldeburgh Music.
He is on the board of directors for vocal ensemble EXAUDI.