Immigration and Visa Advice

Studying abroad is a big step for many students, but everyone within our community is committed to making you feel part of our family from day one.

If you’re offered a place to study with us, there’s lots of things to consider before you arrive in Manchester. Our Admissions Team will be in touch in May regarding visa and immigration applications and will support and guide you as we move towards September. In the meantime, the tabs below outline some useful information. If there’s anything you’re unsure of, please email [email protected] for help and advice. 

Advice for EU/EEA and Swiss Nationals

If you’ve already been granted either Settled or Pre-settled status, you don’t need to apply for another kind of immigration permission (e.g. Student Visa) to study in the UK. Please send a copy of your passport with your share code to [email protected] as soon as possible.

If you haven’t obtained any immigration status that permits study in the UK, you may need to apply for a Student Visa. The UK government has published a guide for EU students about its immigration system which may be useful to you. Please read our advice and follow the steps outlined below to obtain a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), enabling you to start your visa application.

Do I Need a Visa to Study in the UK?

As an international student, you’ll need to check whether you need a Student Visa to study in the UK. You can do this by visiting

If you need a Student Visa, you must follow the steps outlined below to obtain a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) and apply for your visa.

Please do NOT travel to the UK until you have received the appropriate visa that permits you to enter the UK and study at the RNCM. Otherwise, you will not be able to enrol at the RNCM and may be asked to return to your home country.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

What is a CAS?

The CAS is a unique reference number which confirms that the College has agreed to be your sponsor and provides information about you and your study to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) as part of your visa application.

When Should I Request My CAS Letter?

The RNCM will only be able to issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) to students with a Guaranteed Unconditional (GU) Offer. You’ll also be required to pay at least a 25% deposit of the tuition fees for your first year of study. So, before you request a CAS, please make sure:

  • You have met all offer conditions and have obtained a GU offer.

You can see the status of your offer on your UCAS Hub, alongside any outstanding conditions.

  • You have paid a tuition fee deposit.

You must pay the RNCM 25% of the tuition fees for your first year of study. If you have been awarded an RNCM scholarship or bursary, please deduct these from the total fees and pay 25% of the remaining figure as your deposit. This deposit will be recorded on the CAS.

If you are receiving a US Loan, a tuition fee deposit is not required. Please let our Admissions Team know as soon as possible.

How Do I Pay My 25% Deposit?

You can pay your deposit by bank transfer or by debit/credit card using the details below:

Bank Transfer

Transfer Reference: Ensure that your FULL name is included in the transfer reference field. This must be AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR PASSPORT.

Bank: Royal Bank of Scotland
Address: 38 Mosley Street, Manchester, M2 3AZ
Sort Code: 16-25-14
Account Number: 13365425
IBAN Number: GB 53 RBOS 16251413365425
Account Name: RNCM Business Account

Please email [email protected] when you have made the transfer, remembering to include YOUR FULL NAME, DATE OF TRANSFER and TRANSFER AMOUNT.

Debit/Credit Card

To pay by debit or credit card, please call Daniel Bennett on 00 44 161 907 5314 between 9.30 am and 4 pm (UK time) Monday to Friday. Please make sure that you know the amount that you need to pay and have your debit/credit card details to hand.

How Do I Request My CAS Letter?

Once you have a Guaranteed Unconditional (GU) Offer and have submitted a 25% tuition fee deposit, you can submit a CAS Request Form (available in May).

Please fill out all sections of the form carefully as information provided will be included in your CAS. You will need to submit a copy of your passport photo page and any previous UK visas.

Once we have received the form and conducted our initial checks, we’ll be in touch to let you know if we need any further information.

Please note that you must meet all of the RNCM and UKVI conditions to obtain a CAS and, in some instances, the RNCM may request further information or wish to see the evidence that you will submit (e.g. bank statements, English Language results).

Making a Student Visa Application

Eligibility and Requirements

We recommend that you review UKVI’s information about the Student Visa and that you use the resources available via UKCISA to ensure that you understand the requirements and the evidence that you will need to submit with your application.

If you have any questions about the requirements or evidence needed, please contact us [email protected].

Differentiation Agreement

The Differentiation Agreement (or Low Risk Nationals) refers to students who don’t need to provide evidence of their qualifications or finances when applying for a Student Visa.

To see if your nationality is ‘exempt’ please refer to the UKVI’s list of nationals subject to differential evidence. If your country appears on the list and you’re applying for your visa in the country of your nationality, you won’t need to submit educational and financial documentation.

You must, however, sign a declaration within the application to state that this evidence is available should UKVI need to request it as part of their decision process. Please make sure that you still obtain all necessary documents as failure to produce these within a specified timeframe may result in your application being refused.

Your Application

Please visit the UKVI’s website for an overview of the Student Visa route and for details of how to apply for, extend or switch to, a Student Visa.

You may visit a Visa Application Centre (VAC) to submit your application. You will also be able to find information about the services available at each VAC, such as appointments and current visa processing times.

Ensure that you have all your evidence ready before you submit your final application and book an appointment.

You may need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a VAC as part of your application, and then submit your supporting documents either in-person (when you have your biometric appointment) or by post.

You can find out how long it will take for your application to be processed via the UKVI website.

Creditability Interviews

You may be invited by UKVI to attend a short ‘Credibility Interview’. These are usually carried out at the Visa Application Centre (VAC) when you attend to submit your biometric details. A UKVI will ask you some questions which may include:

  • Why have you chosen to study in the UK?
  • Why have you chosen to study at RNCM?
  • Did you consider any alternative universities/conservatoires?
  • What made you choose your course of study?
  • What do you intend to do after your course?
  • How are you paying for your tuition and maintenance?
  • Where will you live while you are in the UK?
  • How did you choose your accommodation?

Please answer these questions as fully as you’re able, as an overview of the interview will be included in the case file to be reviewed with your Student Visa Application.

Immigration Health Surcharge

If you apply for a Student Visa which will last for more than six months, you will need to pay towards the Immigration Health Surcharge. This covers the cost of health care, available via the National Health Service, while you are in the UK. You will pay for the Immigration Health Surcharge when you submit the application.

Getting a Decision

When you receive your visa decision letter, please inform [email protected] so that we can update our records. Please make sure that you retain a copy of the email or letter from UKVI. You’ll need this if you are asked to collect your Biometric Residence Permit when you arrive in the UK.

If you receive a visa refusal, please email [email protected] for advice as soon as possible and attach a copy of the visa refusal notice.

You should only travel to the UK once you have received successful decision within the period of entry granted. 


The RNCM provides information in good faith, based on details that you give to us about you and your current situation. We endeavour to ensure that the information is accurate, but since both your situation and the legislation relating to immigration status can change at short notice, we cannot accept any responsibility for any errors, omissions or other consequences arising, nor for decisions made by the Home Office or other agencies regarding immigration applications.