How to Apply
Applications for most RNCM programmes (with the exception of Professional and Vocational Courses) open in July each year and are completed via UCAS Conservatoires and Acceptd.
Please note: the application deadline for 2020 entry was 1 October 2019. In some cases, late applications may still be considered, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Steps to Application
1: UCAS Conservatoires
Once you’ve decided which course is right for you and you’re ready to start the process, you need to set up an account with UCAS Conservatoires. Here, you’ll be asked to provide a personal statement (so that we can get to know you a little), your education history and any qualifications you’ve achieved, and pay your UCAS and audition fees. As a guide, audition fees for September 2020 entry currently stand at £75 for all auditions and portfolio/recording assessments.
You have until 1 October to complete and submit your application, and you can track its progress at any time via UCAS Track.
Once you’ve created your UCAS Conservatoires account you need to set up a separate one with Acceptd, where you’ll upload your personal statement (so that we can share it with key staff), proof of your qualifications, and contact details for your chosen referees.
You can set up your Acceptd account and start uploading your documents at any point in the application process, but submissions can only be made once everything’s in place. As with UCAS Conservatoires, the deadline for submission is 1 October (31 October for MMUS Conducting students).
All applicants are required to supply the following:
- Name and email address of your chosen academic referee
- Name and email address of your chosen practical referee
- A scanned copy of current highest qualifications to date*
In addition to the above:
- Master of Music (MMus) applicants must submit academic transcripts to date and an example of written work.
- GRNCM/MusB (‘Joint Course’) applicants must submit a short video recording (up to 15 mins) consisting of two contrasting pieces.
- Composition applicants must submit three scores and, where possible, recordings (e.g. MP3 or video/audio links). Recordings without scores will not be considered.
- Conducting applicants must submit footage (approx. 20 minutes) of their conducting by 31 October. Footage should be a fairly equal mixture of rehearsal and performance, and the candidate’s face and upper body must be clearly visible.
- International applicants who first language is not English must submit an ‘Academic’ International English Language Testing System (IELTS) certificate, as evidence of their English language proficiency.
*If you are still in the process of completing qualifications required for your programme (e.g. Bachelor’s Degree), please upload your highest current qualifications.
Once you have achieved your outstanding qualification, please email a copy of your documents to email@example.com. A Level results released in August do not need to be submitted to admissions, as we will be automatically notified by UCAS Conservatoires.
Offers will only be made Guaranteed Unconditional (GU) once we receive copies of all the qualifications required.
|July||UCAS Conservatoires opens for entry applications.|
|1 October||UCAS Conservatoires deadline for on-time applications for September 2020 entry. International applicants can apply all year round.
Deadline for submission of supporting documents via Acceptd for all applicants (except MMus Conducting applicants).
|31 October||Deadline for submission of supporting documents via Acceptd for MMus Conducting applicants.|
|31 October||Applicants who have applied by the UCAS Conservatoires deadline will be notified of their audition date/time via UCAS Conservatoires Track.|
|1 November||Acceptd deadline for submission of supporting documents.|
|15 November||Acceptd deadline for submission of portfolios for recorded auditions (not including Conducting, Composition and GRNCM).|
|Mid November – early December||Main auditions period.|
|Late December||On-time applicants will be informed of the outcome of their audition by this time.|