Research Degree Programmes
The RNCM offers the degrees of Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Degrees are validated and awarded by Manchester Metropolitan University for a collaborative programme of research, undertaken and supervised at RNCM. For entry requirements see here.
There are five specialist pathways:
- Performance — including performance practice and practice-as-research
- Composition — in a variety of media and genres
- Musicology — including the historical, analytical and cultural study of music
- Music Psychology and cognate disciplines — including both quantitative and qualitative research in the fields of expert music performance and training
- Music Education and pedagogy — including the philosophy, history, practice and theory of music education
Full-time MPhil and PhD degrees usually take 18 months and three years, respectively. Both research degrees, in all pathways, can also be taken part-time over three and six years respectively (UK and EU students only).
Research degree students at RNCM benefit from the College’s membership of the North West Consortium Doctoral Training Partnership (www.nwcdtp.ac.uk).
Annual tuition fees for 2018-19 are:
UK and EU students: £6,130 (full-time)
Overseas students: £13,750 (full-time)
Tuition fees are reviewed annually.
How to Apply
For further information about how to apply for RNCM Research Degrees please click here.