Research Degree Programmes
The RNCM offers the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Degrees are awarded by Manchester Metropolitan University for a collaborative programme of research, undertaken and supervised at RNCM. For entry requirements see here.
There are five specialist pathways:
- Performance — including performance practice and practice-as-research
- Composition — in a variety of media and genres
- Musicology — including the historical, analytical and cultural study of music
- Music Psychology and cognate disciplines — including both quantitative and qualitative research in the fields of expert music performance and training
- Music Education and pedagogy — including the philosophy, history, practice and theory of music education
A full-time PhD degree usually takes three years. UK students can also take the degree part-time, in all pathways, over six years.
PhD students at RNCM benefit from the College’s membership of the North West Consortium Doctoral Training Partnership (www.nwcdtp.ac.uk).
Annual tuition fees for 2022-23 are:
UK students: £7,200 (full-time)
Overseas (including EU) students: £16,700 (full-time)
Tuition fees are reviewed annually.
How to Apply
For further information about how to apply for RNCM Research Degrees please click here.