Research Degrees Programme
The RNCM offers the degrees of Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Degrees are validated and awarded by Manchester Metropolitan University for a collaborative programme of research, undertaken and supervised at RNCM. For entry requirements see here.
There are four specialist pathways:
- Performance — including performance practice and practice-as-research
- Composition — in a variety of media and genres
- Musicology — including the historical, analytical and cultural study of music
- Music Psychology and cognate disciplines — including both quantitative and qualitative research in the fields of expert music performance and training.
- Music education and pedagogy — including the philosophy, history, practice and theory of music education
Full-time MPhil and PhD degrees usually take 18 months and three years, respectively. Both research degrees, in all pathways, can also be taken part-time over three and six years respectively (UK and EU students only).
Annual tuition fees for 2016-17 are:
UK and EU students: £5,750 (full-time) £2,875 (part-time)
Overseas students: £12,600 (full-time) £6,300 (part-time)
Tuition fees are reviewed annually.
How to Apply
For further information about how to apply for RNCM Research Degrees please click here.