The RNCM is firmly established as a leading centre for the advanced study not only of music performance and composition, but also theoretical and applied musicology, music psychology and music education.
Our MPhil/PhD programme provides opportunities for undertaking high-level research projects within the creative, and supportive environment of one of Europe’s most dynamic conservatoires.
Research students at the RNCM are part of a lively community of world-class scholars and creative practitioners, with access to outstanding resources and facilities, supervision of the highest calibre, individually-tailored research training and a wide range of opportunities for career development and enhancement. They also benefit from the College’s close collaborations with numerous professional ensembles across Europe and participation in the rich research environment of the North West’s major universities.
Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees are validated and awarded by Manchester Metropolitan University for a collaborative programme of research, undertaken and supervised at RNCM.
There are five specialist pathways:
- Composition in a variety of media and genres
- Musicology, including the historical, analytical and cultural study of music
- Music Psychology, including quantitative and qualitative approaches to research in all aspects of music making, particularly expert music performance and musicians’ health and wellbeing
- Music Education and Pedagogy,including the philosophy, history, practice and theory of music education
- Performance, including performance practice and practice-as-research.
To get an idea of the kinds of projects Research students are working on, click here.