Ph.D ; Mus.M ; Mus.B ; ARCM ; LTCL ; Dip.Lib.
Email: [email protected]
- Cataloguing of printed music and books
- Teaching information literacy and research skills
- Engaging in musicological research
- Representing the RNCM Library on several internal and external professional committees
Deputy Librarian, Geoff has spent his professional career at the RNCM, having obtained Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from Manchester University and his Library Diploma from the former Manchester Polytechnic. In 2016 he completed his Ph.D at the RNCM, examining the role of Adolph Brodsky in establishing a chamber music culture in late 19th and early 20th century Manchester.
He is active in the International Association of Music Libraries and was the international the Chair of its Commision on Service and Training 2009-14 and Education Officer for the UK & Ireland Branch (2011-2018) having previously held other national officerships.
Also an active musician, Geoff plays clarinet, recorders and piano, and is currently getting to grips with the organ. He also composes and arranges for a wind ensemble he plays in. With 30 years experience in musical journalism, he has freelanced for The Guardian and City Life and written numerous programme and liner notes as well as academic articles.
- Teaching research and information skills
- Cataloguing printed music and books
- Devising training programmes
- Library contact for PLP students
- Research active
Current and Future Research
- Ph.D title – “Adolph Brodsky and his circle: European cross-currents in chamber music in late 19th and early 20th century Manchester”.
- During 2016 I am the Associate Researcher on the AHRC-funded project “Making music in Manchester in World War 1”. I am focussing on amateur music-making in the Manchester area during this period
Information skills as part of Music, Culture and Performance
Lectures on Information and Research skills and seminars on Online Resources for Research as part of the Masters programme Preparation for Research module
- Geoffrey Thomason, ‘Edited journal issue’, Fontes artis musicae, LX (2013), 153-232.
- Geoffrey Thomason, ‘A continuing necessity: UK and Ireland training courses past—and future?’, Fontes artis musicae, LX (2013), 199-207.
- Geoffrey Thomason, ‘Hallé’s other project – the RMCM’, Manchester Memoirs, 149 (2012), 104-123.
- Thomason Geoffrey, ‘Some observations on royal celebrations in Manchester’s Gentlemen’s Concerts’, , 48 (2011), 5-14.
- Geoffrey Thomason, ‘Grieg in Manchester: sidelights on a centenary’, Brio, 44 (2007), 37-49.
- Geoffrey Thomason, ‘Yours very sincerely, Edward Elgar: the Elgar-Brodsky correspondence at the RNCM’, Brio, 42 (2005), 32-53.
- ”, , ().
- Christopher Redwood. William Hurlstone: Croydon’s forgotten musical genius, Brio, Geoffrey Thomason, 2018, IAML (UK & Irl), UK
- Paul Watt. Ernest Newman: a critical biography, Brio, Geoffrey Thomason, 2018, IAML Uk & Irl), UK
- Christopher Fifield. Hans Richter, Brio, Geoffrey Thomason, 2018, IAML (UK & Irl), UK
- Warm corners, fog and cheap cotton : sundry journeys from Leipzig to Manchester , International IAML Congress 2018, Leipzig, 26 July 2018
- Zer is no modern French musik : Debussy reception in Manchester during the First World War , Les institutions musicales à Paris et à Manchester pendant la première guerre mondiale, Paris, 5 March 2018
- Adolph Brodsky (pending). Grove online. OUP. 2019.
- Member of the International Association of Music Libraries, Archives and Documentation Centres (IAML)
- Member of the Executive of the UK and Ireland branch of IAML
- Member of the Royal Musical Association
- Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Musicians