Professor of Cellor and Chamber Music (Senior Tutor)
Email: [email protected]
- I try to share my passion for music.
- I try to ensure that students feel comfortable and confident when practising and performing.
- I focus on developing technical control and musical imagination.
Petr was born in Ostrava, Czech Republic and started to play the cello at the age of six with Miroslav Dolezil and Ivan Merka. He progressed to the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague, where he was taught by Miroslav Petras and members of the Smetana Quartet, graduating with master’s degree.
He also studied at the International Menuhin Music Academy in Switzerland, and with Raphael Wallfisch at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London, where he was awarded the Concert Recital Diploma (Premier Prix). He taught cello at the Prague Conservatory of Music and was Principal Cellist of the Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra, while performing as a soloist throughout the world.
From 1997 until 2019, Petr Prause was a member of the Talich Quartet. He also joins other outstanding musicians in all kinds of chamber music formations and gives masterclasses at a wide range of international institutions. He was invited to the Jury of international competitions in Lyon and Munich.
Petr Prause plays an exquisite cello Giovanni Grancino (1710) which he has on loan from the Czech National Museum Collection as well as a Martin Stoss cello, Vienna, 1821.
- Felix Mendelssohn Mendelssohn – Complete String Quartets, Talich Quartet, String Quartet, La Dolce Volta, Paris, 2003
- Antonin Dvorak Dvorak – Quartets op. 51 & 61, Talich Quartet, String Quartet, La Dolce Volta, Paris, 2014
- Claude Debussy, Maurice Ravel Debussy, Ravel – String Quartets, Talich Quartet, String Quartet, La Dolce Volta, Paris, 2012