Module Coordinator – Popular Music Masters
BMus, MMus, PhD
Email: [email protected]
- Planning, delivery, and oversight of the Musicianship strand.
- Teaching and assessment across the whole Popular Music school (including undergraduate and postgraduate modules).
- Assessment over Principal study and Repertoire modules.
- Co-sitting various department meetings.
- Booking and organizing masterclasses and visiting lecturers.
Deputy Head of Popular Music Rodrigo Constanzo is a graduate of University of Huddersfield, where he gained a PhD in Music Composition.
With over 20 years experience as a music educator Rodrigo is also an active performer, composer, and improviser, having performed at various national and international gigs, venues, and festivals.
Rodrigo also co-runs The Noise Upstairs, an improvisation-based organisation that seeks to provide a platform for musicians interested in improvisation by promoting monthly events for over 10 years in Manchester. In this capacity he has run and hosted a number of workshops, and works as engineer and graphic designer for a small artist-centric label.
Current and Future Research
Research topics include:
- Open and improvised music
- Computer assisted improvsation/performance
- DIY instruments and hardware
- Electronic extensions of the acoustic drumset
- DAW and Leadsheet writing
- Songwriting & Arranging
- Recording & Production for Musicians
- Contemporary Songwriting
- Small Ensemble Performance
- Rodrigo Constanzo, ‘Towards the beat of a different drummer: A journey into the loss of fidelity in drums and electronics’, Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, 2011 (2011), 532.