Deputy Head of Undergraduate Programmes
ARCM, GRNCM, MusB (Manchester) PhD (Manchester)
- Unit Coordinator for Musicianship
- Course leader/liaison with University of Mancherster for GRNCM/Joint Course students
- Link Liaison tutor for BMus in Popular Music course.
- Panel chair for final diplomas
- Occasional Masterclass Pianist for School of Strings
- Tutor in Performance Studies 3 and academic electives
Born in Manchester, educated at Yehudi Menuhin School and at RNCM and Manchester University on the Joint Course (piano and composiion). Active as pianist (duo recital, most notably with wife, Hannah Roberts, and masterclasses including IMS Prussia Cove, London Masterclasses and Schleswig-Holstein Masterclasses). Has taught compositiion and Improvisation at Yehudi Menuhinm School and Purcell School. Active as composer and arranger, including several arrangements for Manchester Camerata, for whom he is now arranger in residence.
PhD in Composition with a particular interest in polystylism. Active improviser in a range of styles. Extensive repertoire knowledge, particularly strings, as duo pianist.
Current main compositional project is a sequence of pieces for every day of the year. January (flute and piano) February, (oboe and piano) and November (piano solo) have been completed at time of writing.
Has written a great deal of chamber music (striing quartets, violin, viola and ‘cello sonatas) as well as larger-scale works.
Current and Future Research
Composition Project: Calendar of pieces for each day of the year. Main preoccupation is with style contrasts, and the technique of morphing from one style to another.
Interest in Aural training has led to work on sight-singing technique. I am compiling a number of graded exercises, with tutorial content, which will form part of a book on sight-singing.
- Musicianship 1
- Musicianship 2
- Foundation Aural
- Musicianship 3 (Elective)
- Composition (Elective)
- Performance Studies 3
- Lecture-recital Supervision
- Musicianship for Instrumentalists module
- Masters project supervision
- PhD supervisor (work on the mentality of improvisation).
- Various, including Weill, Spoliansky, Hollaender Simon parkin Series of arrangements for Manchester Camerata and Mary Carewe, 2013, Manchester camerata, Mary Carewe Piano, flute, clarinet, violin, ‘cello, voice,
- Piazzolla, Mozart simon parkin Arrangements for public performance by Manchester Camerata, 2013, Manchester camerata, String orchestra, string quintet,
Recitals as chamber pianist–concert and masterclass work.
Composition and arranging on commission.