Senior Lecturer in Academic Studies and Deputy Head of Undergraduate Programmes
ARCM, GRNCM, MusB (Manchester) PhD (Manchester)
Email: [email protected]
- Unit Coordinator for Theory and Musicianship, Principal Study Electives, Ensembles 1/2
- Year 1 tutor
- Member of EC committee
- Panel chair/ moderator for year 3/4 recitals
- Tutor in Theory and Musicianship, performance electives at UG and PG level.
Born in Manchester, educated at Yehudi Menuhin School and at RNCM and Manchester University on the Joint Course (piano and composiion). Active as pianist (duo recital, most notably with wife, Hannah Roberts, and masterclasses including IMS Prussia Cove, London Masterclasses and Schleswig-Holstein Masterclasses). Has taught compositiion and Improvisation at Yehudi Menuhinm School and Purcell School. Active as composer and arranger, including several arrangements for Manchester Camerata, for whom he is now arranger in residence.
PhD in Composition with a particular interest in polystylism. Active improviser in a range of styles. Extensive repertoire knowledge, particularly strings, as duo pianist.
Current main compositional project is a sequence of pieces for every day of the year. January (flute and piano) February, (oboe and piano), March (clarinet and Piano) and November (piano solo) have been completed at time of writing. April (Bassoon and Piano) May (Horn and Piano) and December (Bass and piano) are also well under way.
Has written a great deal of chamber music (striing quartets, violin, viola and ‘cello sonatas) as well as larger-scale works.
He has made a number of arrangements, most recently for Sheku Kanneh-Mason and Jess Gillam. 4 CDs from Decca Classics contain his arrangements.
Current and Future Research
Composition Project: Calendar of pieces for each day of the year. Main preoccupation is with style contrasts, and the technique of morphing from one style to another.
Arranging: published by faber at https:///www.fabermusic.com/we-represent/parkin-simon/works
Released on 4 CDs by Decca Classics (3 for Sheku, one for Jess)
Last night of the proms 2022: 2 arrangements
Chaopter on Aural training at RNCM published by Routledge 2021
- Theory andMusicianship 1
- Theory andMusicianship 2 (analysis and interpretation; arranging)
- Musicianship 3 (Elective)
- Arrangement (Elective)
- Musicianship for Instrumentalists module
- Masters project supervision (occasional)
- PhD supervisor (work on the mentality of improvisation).
- Various, including Weill, Spoliansky, Hollaender Simon parkin Series of arrangements for Manchester Camerata and Mary Carewe, 2013, Manchester camerata, Mary Carewe Piano, flute, clarinet, violin, ‘cello, voice,
- Piazzolla, Mozart simon parkin Arrangements for public performance by Manchester Camerata, 2013, Manchester camerata, String orchestra, string quintet,
Recitals as chamber pianist–concert and masterclass work.
Composition and arranging on commission.