Home Student Funding

Important information: EU applicants and offer holders starting their studies from September 2021 onwards are now classed as international students and as such, are eligible for international fees.

Most part-time and full-time students can apply for finance to support tuition fees and, in some cases, the cost of living.

Details for undergraduates and postgraduates are outlined below, but if you have any questions, please contact Adam Croucher, Deputy Registrar and Head of Student Services, at [email protected].

Home Undergraduates

All Home undergraduates can apply for financial support towards tuition fees. UK students also have the option of applying for additional funding to help with living costs. Please visit Student Finance England for more information.

Home Postgraduates

The Government currently provides a non-means-tested Postgraduate Master’s Loan to help with course fees and living costs.

In order to qualify, you must be:

  • Under 60
  • A UK national (or someone with settled status in the UK) who has been resident in England for at least three years before the start of the course.
  • Studying towards your first Master’s degree. Please note: the course must be a taught Master’s degree. PGDip courses are not eligible.

Applications are made via Student Finance England; you will only need to apply once, irrespective of the length of your programme.

Once approved, loans are paid directly into the student’s UK bank account in three equal instalments for each academic year of study. If your course if longer than one academic year, your loan will be paid in six instalments, split evenly over the length of the programme.

Full information about the Postgraduate Master’s Loan, including repayment, and other funding options is available here.

Funding for Scottish Postgraduates

Sir James Caird’s Travelling Scholarship: Grants and scholarships available to Scottish postgraduate students, tenable for 1 year but may be renewed for up to 2 further years. Closing date January.

Contact details:

The Administrator
Thorntons Solicitors
50 Castle Street
Dundee, DD1 3RU

T 01382 229111

The Cross Trust: Open to graduates/undergraduates of Scottish birth or parentage. Aims include encouragement of performance participation in music and drama. Applicants must demonstrate outstanding merit; financial hardship also taken into account.

To Apply:

The Secretaries of The Cross Trust
McCash & Hunter LLP, Solicitors
25 South Methven Street

T 01738 620451
F 01738 631155
E [email protected]

Additional RNCM Funding

The RNCM provides and facilitates additional support and services for its students, including those listed below.

If you require any specific advice about any area of financial support, please contact Adam Croucher, Deputy Registrar and Head of Student Services, at [email protected].

Access to Learning Fund

The RNCM has a dedicated fund specifically for students who, without support, may have to withdraw or interrupt their studies. The support is non-repayable and will not affect statutory support. Applications should be made directly to Adam Croucher, Deputy Registrar and Head of Student Services.

Medical Bursaries

The RNCM has a dedicated fund specifically for students who have physical or mental health issues whilst studying. Applications and information can be sought from Jane Gray, Head of Student Disability and Wellbeing.

Disabled Students Allowance (UK only)

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability, including a:

Long-term health condition
Mental health condition
Specific learning difficulty, e.g. dyslexia

For further information about DSA, please click here.

Also in this section...