PG Dip Advanced Studies
The Postgraduate Diploma: Advanced Studies in Musical Performance/Composition is suitable for performers/composers who have gained a Master’s-level qualification and wish to perfect their craft through a year of study at the RNCM.
Solo Performance and Conducting focuses on training in advanced-level techniques, styles and practices of musical performance or conducting, and the development of critical and reflective approaches to relevant repertoire.
Composition builds on skills such as compositional craft, technique, and creative conception, and explores areas including interpretative and reflective skills, approaches to different repertoire, and enhanced presentation and communication.
All Advanced Studies in Musical Performance/Composition (PGDip) students receive:
- Regular tuition from the RNCM’s team of internationally-acclaimed staff
- A wealth of performance opportunities both within the College and externally
- Support of an appointed mentor who will advise you through your selection of options and in preparation for your final performance/portfolio
- Vocational and academic elective modules options that complement specialist tuition and performance activities
The PGDip: Advanced Studies in Musical Performance/Composition consists of 120 credits, and comprises the following two strands:
Advanced Performance/Composition tuition (60 credits) delivered through intensive one-to-one sessions, masterclasses, group classes, lectures and workshops. Applicants external to the RNCM may elect to be assessed through a flexible diet of possible performance/composition assessment formats that allow major College-led performances (e.g. major operatic roles, or concerto performances, subject to approval) to count towards your final degree.
Two elective modules (60 credits) from the following:
- Composition Elective
- Conducting Elective
- Dalcroze Eurhythmics and Dynamic Rehearsal
- Electronic Experimental Ensemble
- The Freelance Musician
- Lecture Recital
- Major Creative Project (60 credits) or Minor Creative Project (30 credits)
- Musicianship for Instrumentalists
- Musicianship for Vocalists: Consort Singing
- Professional Audition
- Practical Pedagogy
- Professional Placement
- Advanced Small Ensemble Performance (Chamber Music; Historical Performance; Jazz)
Application Fact File
Duration: 1 year full-time
FHEQ Level: 7
UCAS Conservatoires code:
Musical Performance: 601F
Routes available: Solo Performance and Composition
Course enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org