Application FAQs

We’ve listed some of the most common questions we’re asked by applicants, but if there’s anything else you’d like to know, feel free to get in touch.

If you’re an RNCM Offer Holder, you’ll find a separate list of FAQs, including details for the forthcoming Autumn Term, here.

Can I apply to universities as well as conservatoires?

Yes. Undergraduate applicants can apply to universities (on UCAS) and conservatoires (on UCAS Conservatoires) at the same time – please note that they are separate systems with different application processes and timescales. You can hold a guaranteed/firm offer on both systems although a final decision is required before the start of your course.

Do I have to have a degree in music in order to apply for a postgraduate course?

Not necessarily. Postgraduate applicants are required to have a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) before entry, however this degree does not necessarily have to be in music.

Can I apply for two Principal Study areas/two instruments?

Joint Principal Study is not offered on any of the RNCM courses. You will concentrate on one instrument or Principal Study area during your course. If you would like to be considered for two instruments or Principal Study areas, you will need to make two separate applications and pay two audition fees on UCAS Conservatoires.

Can I apply for a consultation lesson with a particular tutor?

Yes, consultation lessons are available to RNCM offer holders. Offer holders wishing to have a consultation lesson with a prospective tutor should contact the relevant School Administrator in the first instance. Please note that consultation lessons are conducted in a tutor’s own time, and the fee for a consultation lesson is payable direct to the tutor concerned. In all cases, the final decision about tutor allocation is the responsibility of the Head of School.

Can I have an Advice Audition?

If you want to get a better idea of whether the RNCM is right for you, you can apply for an Advice Audition. These are available during January – June each year and currently cost £75 (£35 of which will be refunded if you apply for an entry audition within 12 months). Please contact to request an application form.

How are tutors allocated?

The allocation of students to specific Principal Study tutors is the responsibility of the relevant Head of School in consultation with other specialist colleagues, taking account of performance at audition. Prospective students who may have a preference for a particular tutor are encouraged to make this known to their respective School. It should be emphasised, however, that in all cases, the final decision about tutor allocation will remain the responsibility of the Head of School.

Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

Students that may require a visa to study in the UK will be contacted by our Admissions Team in May 2021, with information and advice about how to request a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) and complete your Student Visa application.