FAQs for Graduate School Applicants

We’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions from Graduate School applicants.

If your question isn’t included below, please email [email protected] and we’ll be happy to help.

I don’t have a Bachelor’s degree in Music, can I still apply for a postgraduate programme?

Yes you can. While the majority of our postgraduate students hold a first degree in Music, it’s not a requirement as you’ll be assessed on your ability at audition stage. We offer a non-credit bearing optional module for all Graduate School students called Introduction to Music Theory for Postgraduate Students. This is aimed at students who didn’t undertake a first degree in Music, or perhaps took it in another country/language.

How can I find out which programme is right for me?

Our Graduate School pages have detailed information about all postgraduate courses, but if you’re still unsure what’s right for you our Student Recruitment team will be happy to help.

What is the difference between the two-year and one-year MMus programme?

Both the two- and one-year programmes comprise 180 credits, so the exit award is the same.

The two-year MMus is the standard route the majority of our students undertake, allowing time to maximise opportunities available at the College, including Principal Study, performance, and professional development.

The one-year intensive MMus is an option for students who would prefer to condense their studies into a shorter timeframe.

You can view the difference in structure in the Programme Specification.

I hold a Master’s degree in Music and want to have another year of Principal Study tuition and performance opportunities. What would be the right course for me?

The typical route for applicants with a Master’s degree who want to spend a year at the RNCM is the Postgraduate Diploma Advanced Studies.

If you already hold significant performance experience and you’re on the cusp of an international career, you could consider the International Artist Diploma. Entrants to this must demonstrate exceptional ability and potential for an international career.

I'm interested in music teaching. What options are available to me?

We run a unique Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) in Special Instrumental Teaching which offers Qualified Teacher Status.

If you don’t want to take a formal teaching qualification and you’re interested more generally in music teaching practices, students can take an optional module (if you have your own private students) in Practical Pedagogy as part of the MMus and Postgraduate Diploma Advanced Studies programmes.

How do I apply for a scholarship? How can I fund my studies?

All applicants are automatically considered for an entrance award, there is no need to apply for one.

The RNCM offer a limited number of bursaries to overseas and postgraduate students, allocated on the basis of need and merit.

Home postgraduate students can also apply for a Postgraduate Loan

For more information, please see our Fees and Funding FAQ.