Short Conducting Courses
The RNCM operates an extremely popular programme of external conducting courses, which are open to all.
These courses are led by Mark Heron and Clark Rundell in conjunction with a range of guest teachers, and are aimed at a very broad range of applicants. You may be a young conductor considering full time study; a graduate looking to brush up your skills or receive input from a different teacher; a professional performer or educator for whom conducting is part of a wider portfolio of activities; or an amateur musician wishing to develop your skills.
A feature of all of these courses is the absolute focus on the practical experience of conducting real live musicians. RNCM orchestras, bands and ensembles play for the bulk of the sessions, and in the May course there are significant opportunities to conduct and receive feedback from professional musicians thanks to the involvement of Manchester Camerata.
Now Open: 2018/19 Masterclasses
This academic year we will run four masterclasses:
- November 2018: A course aimed at those conducting wind & brass bands
- February 2019: A brand new course for choral conductors with David Hill
- February 2019: An orchestral course
- April 2019: Our flagship course in conjunction with Manchester Camerata
We are also running our highly successful three part course with an e-learning element aimed at those working in music education, or training to do so.
Information packs are available to download from the links below:
Making An Application
12 active places are available for November 2018/February 2019, and 10 for May 2019.
You can apply for more than one course, but you must complete a separate online application for each.
At the links below, you will be asked to complete the application form and upload a video link and CV. We will endeavour to inform you of the result of your application within seven days of the closing date.
- Conducting Masterclass 1 (Wind & Brass Band Conductors): Application Form for Active Places 2018: 24 and 25 November 2018
- Conducting Masterclass 2 (Choral Conducting): Application Form for Active Places: 9 and 10 February 2019
- Conducting Masterclass 3: Application Form for Active Places: 21 and 22 February 2019
- Conducting Masterclass 4: Application for Active Places 2018-19 – 5, 6 & 7 April 2019
- Conducting Course for Music Educators: Application Form for Active Places: 28-29 October 2018, 20 January 2019 and 3 March 2019
Observers are also invited to watch all sessions and to participate in group discussions. This opportunity will be of interest to conductors of any level or to anyone who is interested in how gesture and body language can be used in leadership. You can register as an observer at any time by completing the online form below:
- Conducting Masterclasses: Application Form for Observers 2018-19
Active places: £320 per course, April £525.
Observer places: £50 per day
When you submit your online application form, you will be sent to PayPal to pay this fee. Please note that you do not need a PayPal account – payments can be made using your debit or credit card.
If you have any Conducting enquiries, please contact Esther Wakeman, Conducting Administrator on +44 (0) 161 907 5334 or firstname.lastname@example.org