Pre-Arrival Information

Important information for international students joining the RNCM

To help you prepare for departing for the UK, we have created a booklet called Preparing to Start at the RNCM 2019/20.

The British Council also holds pre-departure briefings for students going to the UK to study. These sessions will provide students with practical information on living and studying in the UK and give them the opportunity to make contact with other students going to the UK. Contact a British Council office in your country for more information and details. .

If you have been registered and accepted on a course at the RNCM, you will receive further joining instructions before you depart for the UK. Advice about the language, culture and life in the UK is available from the UK Council for International Students Affairs (UKCISA).

Visas and Immigration

EU and EEA nationals will not need a visa in order to study in the UK. All other international students may require a visa to study in the UK, though the type of visa required will depend on a variety of factors (e.g. length of study and nationality.) To check whether you need a visa to study in the UK, visit UK Visas and Immigration.

Obtaining a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) will only be issued  to students with a Guaranteed Unconditional (GU) offer. You will also be required to pay a 25% deposit of your tuition fees for 2019/20. You may then request a CAS, using the CAS Request Form.

Starting Your Visa Application

While waiting for your CAS to be issued, you can start to prepare your visa application. As soon as the CAS is issued we will send you an email containing the details you will need to complete the application. Do not attempt to apply for a Tier 4 Visa without the CAS, the application will be rejected.

Start your visa application by visiting UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

International Health Surcharge

From the 6 April 2015 all Tier 4 Leave applicants (and their dependents) will need to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge. Applicants are charged for each year of the maximum leave granted to them, not for each year of their course. The Immigration Health Charge is paid as part of the visa application.

Documents and Evidence of Funds Required

Any documents that you will need to provide with your visa application will be listed on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).

You will also need to prove that you have enough money to pay the remainder of your tuition fees for 2018/19 and an extra £9, 135 (£1,015/month) to cover accommodation/living costs. These funds must be in your bank account (or parents bank account) for 28 consecutive days ending no more than 30 days before the date of your visa application.

More guidance is available from UKCISA.

If you have any questions regarding CAS or applying for your Tier 4 Visa, contact us at (

Police Registration

For citizens of some countries according to UK Immigration Rules it is compulsory to register with the police within seven days of your arrival to the UK.

For more information, contact and check the information from Register with the Police. The list of nationals who must register with the police is available from the downloads menu.